King Edward Hall
CONDITIONS OF HIRE
In these Conditions of Hire the following terms shall have the following meanings:-
Committee - the King Edward Hall Management Committee.
Hall - shall include all or part of the Newcombe Hall, Jubilee Room, Old Library, Main Kitchen, Jubilee Kitchen, toilets and any other rooms, corridors and passages within the premises known as the King Edward Hall, Lindfield.
Hirer - the person or organisation, which has made the booking.
GENERAL CONDITIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF HIRER:
- 1. Submission of the Booking Confirmation form implies acceptance of these Conditions of Hire.
- 2. The Committee reserves the right to accept or refuse bookings at their discretion. Notwithstanding that the function may be private, the Committee reserves the right to refuse admission to any person and to require any person to leave the premises.
- 3. The Hirer, who must be over 18 years of age, shall be responsible for supervision of the Hall, the fabric and the contents, their care, safety from damage and the behaviour of all persons using the Hall including proper supervision of car-parking so as to avoid obstruction of the highway.
- 4. The Hirer shall be responsible for ensuring that all Conditions of the Premises Licence relating to management and supervision of the premises are met. These Conditions are displayed in the Hall main entrance notice board.
- 5. The Hirer shall not sub-let, or use the premises or allow the premises to be used for any unlawful purpose nor do anything or bring onto the premises anything which may endanger the premises or any insurance policies thereof.
- 6. During the period of hire, the Hall Steward will be deemed to be acting for and on behalf of the Committee and his instructions where they relate to these rules must be obeyed.
- 7. The Hirer shall be responsible for ensuring that order is properly maintained during the time of hire the premises is let to them, and that unauthorised or undesirable individuals do not obtain access to the Hall.
- 8. The wearing of nailed or stiletto-heeled footwear is prohibited.
- 9. The Hirer shall ensure that no dogs except guide dogs, hearing dogs or assistance dogs are brought into the Hall.
- 10. Use of bouncy castles or other inflatables are not permitted in the Hall.
- 11. No nails, screws, staples or drawing pins shall be driven into walls, floors or furniture, and no placards shall be fixed to any part of the premises. No tape should be stuck on to any floors.
- 12. Any event involving the sale of alcohol either by admission ticket or provision of a bar must be approved by both the Honorary Booking Secretary and the Designated Premises Supervisor, who, on behalf of the Committee, are authorised to refuse bookings or impose conditions additional to those specified in these Conditions of Hire. Alcohol may not be taken outside the Hall premises.
- 13. Hirers must ensure that the Hall is swept and left clean and tidy with furniture and equipment replaced where found, properly locked and secured unless directed otherwise by the Hall Steward. Any contents temporarily removed from their usual positions must be properly replaced otherwise the Committee shall be at liberty to make an additional charge.
- 14. Out of consideration for nearby residents and the general neighbourhood, hirers shall ensure that noise is kept to a reasonable level at all times and shall ensure that users leave the Hall quietly and in an orderly manner.
- 15. Before leaving Hirers must check that all windows and doors are secured, taps closed and all electric lights switched off.
- 16. The Committee gives no undertaking that the Hall will or will not be hired for a similar purpose on another occasion nor that any other part of the Hall will or will not be let at the time of hiring.
- 17. The Hall’s policy is that normally no bookings for private parties for those aged between 14 – 21 years inclusive will be accepted. In the event that the Committee agrees to accept such a booking, a refundable deposit of £250 will be required at the time of booking.
- 18. The Hirer is responsible for any injury, damage or loss to any part of the premises or to any equipment, fixtures, furniture or chattels of any sort in or about the premises: the reasonable cost of any such injury, damage or loss shall be assessed by the Committee and paid by the Hirer on demand.
- 19. Hirers should arrange all necessary insurance to cover their own liability in respect of a hiring, especially to persons attending and for equipment brought in for the function.
- 20. The Committee accepts no responsibility or liability for any item of property left on the premises by the Hirer or any person attending the function.
- 21. Hirers should familiarize themselves with the Health and Safety guidelines issued with the Booking Confirmation form. A copy is on display on the notice board located in the Hall main entrance.
- 22. Hirers should note the positions of fire-fighting equipment. Details can be found on the notice board located in the Hall main entrance.
- 23. The Hall steward will draw your attention to the location of escape routes. Access to all exit doors and fire extinguishers must be kept clear at all times.
- 24. Harmful substances must not be brought onto the premises.
- 25. Explosive and flammable materials including: fireworks, candles, polystyrene and cotton wool shall not be brought into, or used, in any part of the premises. Naked flames are not permitted.
- 26. Birthday cake candles are permitted provided the cake is not situated beneath a smoke detector and that the candles have been properly extinguished after use.
- 27. Tea lights are permitted provided they are placed in non-combustible containers. Battery operated nightlights are the preferred option.
- 28. Highly flammable substances shall not be brought into, or used, in any part of the premises.
- 29. Any electrical equipment brought into the Hall needs a PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) test label if it is to be used in the Hall.
- 30. No unauthorised heating appliance shall be used on the premises without the consent of the Committee.
- 31. SMOKING IS NOT PERMITTED IN ANY PART OF THE BUILDING.
- 32. Use of Smoke Machines is not permitted.
DAMAGE INDEMNITY AND LOST PROPERTY:
PAYMENT OF ACCOUNTS:
- 33. The Hirer shall be responsible for payment, within 14 days of demand, of all charges properly made under the Committee’s published Scale of Charges plus any additional charges made under Conditions 13, 18 and 35.
- 34. If the Hirer wishes to cancel the booking before the date of the event and the Committee is unable to conclude a replacement booking, the question of the payment or the repayment of the fee shall be at the discretion of the Committee. The Committee reserves the right to cancel a hiring in the event of the Hall being required as a Polling Station for a Parliamentary or Local Government election or bye election or any other justifiable reason, in which case the Hirer shall be entitled to a refund of any deposit already paid.
- 35. Hirers must vacate the Hall by the end of the agreed finish time of hire. The Committee reserve the right to charge for any use of the Hall in excess of the times originally booked by the Hirer. If additional time beyond midnight is taken without previous agreement (at the time of booking) then the extra time will be charged at twice the hourly rate.
COMPLIANCE WITH THE CHILDREN ACTS 1989 and 2004:
- 36. The Hirer shall ensure that any activities for children and vulnerable adults comply with the provisions of The Children Acts of 1989 and 2004, and the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006, and, that only fit and proper persons who have passed the appropriate Disclosure & Barring Service checks have access to the children and vulnerable adults. The Hirer shall provide the Committee with a copy of their Child Protection Policy on request.
- 37. These Conditions include the responsibilities placed on hirers of the Hall by Mid Sussex District Council when issuing the Hall’s Premises Licence. If the Hirer is in any doubt as to the meaning of these Conditions, the Honorary Bookings Secretary should be consulted.
- 38. By order of the King Edward Hall Management Committee November 2021
A copy of the Conditions of Hire can be downloaded here